GEO-Wetlands is an international initiative initiated in 2016 under the auspices of the Group on Earth Observations (GEO) with the mandate to develop sustained approaches to large-scale wetland inventory, monitoring and assessment and promote the establishment of a Global Wetlands Observation System (GWOS).
The 13th meeting of the Conference of the Parties of the Convention of Biological Diversity is currently held in Cancun, Mexico. The European Space Agency, the Ramsar Secretariat, UNEP WCMC and the GEO-Wetlands Team (including SWOS partners) are organizing a side event on the GEO-Wetlands Initiative.
Date: Friday, 9th December 2016
Time: 13:15 – 14:45
Venue: Business Group Meeting | Sunrise Building | 2nd Floor
The side event will inform the biodiversity community about the GEO-Wetlands activities and plans, discuss ways to contribute to its development and stimulate discussions around the use of satellite remote sensing for wetland inventory, monitoring and assessment. It will follow a standard format with keynote presentations, debate with audience questions, and final remarks.
- Ramsar State of the World’s Wetlands and their Services and needs for GWOS
- SDG 6.6 and SDG 15.1 on water-related ecosystems and their biodiversity
- The GEO-Wetlands Initiative
- WCMC Wetland Extent Trends (WET) Index
- Satellite-based Wetlands Monitoring projects (SWOS, GlobWetland Africa, Global Mangrove Watch)